Fresh cranberries! Ahh…I love cranberry season. I miss being able to drive through cranberry country when we lived in Boston. I grabbed several bags of cranberries right before Thanksgiving when they went on sale and have had fun dreaming up all of the cranberry-filled dishes that I might make with them.
I decided it would be fun to kick off December with these bad boys — cranberry chocolate chip muffins. It doesn’t get much better than these. They offer the perfect balance of tart and sweet. Whip up a batch of these to enjoy this week, or maybe make a couple dozen for when family comes into town for the holidays.
What to make next? Hmm…I’m thinking cranberry orange bread. Yes…
- 2¼ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbs. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup milk
- 5 1/3 Tbs. unsalted butter (melted)
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 1½ cups coarsely chopped cranberries
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a mixing bowl, stir flour, baking powder and salt to combine.
- In another mixing bowl, mix 1 cup of the sugar, eggs, milk, melted butter and almond extract. Stir until well blended.
- Mix in the dry ingredients.
- Toss the chopped cranberries and mini chocolate chips in and fold into the batter.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared muffin liners, filling them about two thirds of the way full.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until they are slightly golden and pass the toothpick test.