Happy New Year! We’re back after a month of traveling and visiting family! I’m sure that I am not alone in hoping that there is a little less of me around by this time next year. I’ve found that whatever I scarf down while trying to get everyone ready for school, work, etc. tends to set the tone for the whole day in terms of what I eat. If I start the day with a donut, chances are that I will also have a soda with some chips, crackers, or other salty junk food goodness before noon. It’s that whole “If You Give a Mouse a Cookie” effect.
We love these egg muffins in our house. This week I went with a little southwestern flavor, but we’ve made so many different types of egg muffins over the years. This recipe is pretty forgiving, so feel free to play with it and throw in whatever sounds good to you (or what’s left in your refrigerator). I typically make a large batch on Sunday and they will last us 3-5 days.
Start your crazy weekday mornings off right with a couple of egg muffins and a piece of toast or some fruit. You won’t regret it.
- 8 eggs
- 1/8 cup half and half or milk
- 1/4 cup mixed bell peppers, diced
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- optional: 2 Tbs salsa
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a muffin tin by coating each cup with nonstick cooking spray.
- Whisk eggs together briskly
- Mix in seasonings (onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika)
- Add the bell peppers and salsa. Give the mixture a good stir.
- Pour mixture into muffin tin, filling each cup about 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake 10-15 minutes until egg is cooked through and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Enjoy your healthy and quick breakfast!