Happy Valentine’s Week! Let’s face it…this holiday has become a week-long (or some might argue month-long) celebration at our house. While I don’t necessarily endorse the extreme commercialism of the holiday, I think it is a good excuse to be a little extra cheesy and perform a few random acts of kindness for those you love.
Valentine’s Day is also the perfect excuse to indulge in chocolates and crave-worthy desserts. Moore Cookin’ is celebrating with Sweet Love Week…a whole week of desserts and sweet treats. So why not go ahead and surprise the one you love with something to satisfy their sweet tooth. Enjoy!
Just a few things that I’m loving so far this year…
1) My new Crate n Barrel Cookbook Stand (a Christmas gift from the hubby): Nice to save those library cookbooks from the splatter and mess that will inevitably be made when we are cooking together in the kitchen.
2) Hot Chocolate: It’s cold in Boston right now and as a born and raised Texan I am learning to appreciate some hot drinks after all. I still have to wait until their lukewarm and down them before they turn cold. It’s progress…
3) Chocolate Bearpaw Boots: I don’t know how my feet would survive without the warmth of my Bearpaws. Another Christmas gift this year and I now own these in black and chocolate brown. I plan on living in these for the next couple months.
4) Loreal Sweet Nothings Nail Polish: My new favorite shade.
5) Artichoke Kitchen Towelfrom Crate n Barrel: My oven handle was looking lonely after all the holiday towels went away. Enter this adorable artichoke towel…Love it!!
6) Mary Tyler Moore: It may be odd for someone in their 20’s to say the following, but The Mary Tyler Moore Show is one of my all-time favorite TV shows. I’ve decided to start watching the series from the beginning this year.
7)Crabtree and Evelyn Citron Hand Therapy: Winter can be tough on skin and I am in love with this lotion. I enjoyed a sample from a hotel in California during our big Thanksgiving trip last year and knew I’d have to invest in buying my own.
8)Vintage Flatware Apron from Sur La Table: Merry Christmas to myself! Finally found a cute, functional apron.
What started as a test has started to potentially become a lifestyle change that I might be sticking with. I have suffered from migraines since I was 12 years old. In recent years they have intensified and become more frequent (typically 1-2 a week). I have recently started hearing more and more about there being a possible link between a gluten-free diet and reduced frequency and intensity of migraines.
Completely skeptical (and secretly hoping that it would fail so that I would never have to say goodbye to my carb friends) I decided to do a trial run of being gluten-free for 2 weeks to see if it would make a difference for me. Well…I’m a little over a week in now and have not had a migraine yet. A few headaches…but nothing that has required being alone in a dark, quiet room for hours on end silently praying for relief.
I plan to finish out the 2 week test, however, I’ve already pretty much decided that I will be incorporating more gluten-free recipes into our cooking (and in turn the Moore Cookin blog). As of now, I don’t think that I will go 100% gluten-free, but we’re definitely going to start focusing more on cooking with more naturally gluten-free ingredients and fewer processed foods. Hope you’ll stick around to see how this goes and what new recipes we can come up with!