Creamy, comforting macaroni and cheese and broccoli combine delicious flavor forces in this new (to us) slightly healthier comfort food. Destined to become a classic in our house. This is a great recipe to throw together on a cold winter night and the leftovers are great too! Give this dish a try and your family is sure to thank you. Enjoy!
- 12 oz dried pasta (elbow, penne, and rotini all work well)
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 cup chicken broth (vegetarians can substitute with vegetable broth)
- 8 oz (2 cups) sharp cheddar
- 12 oz fresh broccoli florets
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan
- 1/4 cup seasoned Panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- salt and fresh pepper to taste
- cooking spray
- Cook pasta (according to package directions for al dente) and broccoli together in a large pot of water
- Spray baking dish with light coating of cooking spray and Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a large skillet, melt butter. Add flour and onion powder, and cook for about a minute, or until the flour is lightly browned and well combined.
- Add milk and chicken broth. Whisk together, raising heat to medium-high until it comes to a boil. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the sauce becomes smooth and begins to thicken. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- When the sauce is thick, remove skillet from heat. Add cheese and stir well until cheese is melted and thoroughly combined with sauce.
- Add cooked pasta and broccoli. Mix well.
- Pour into baking dish.
- Top with grated cheese and seasoned breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 15-25 minutes.
Recipe from: Skinnytaste