The most exciting new (to us) food discovery of this season? Hands down it’s butternut squash. As a former picky eater I have to ease my way into trying new foods. Last year I discovered pumpkin starting with these pumpkin chocolate chip brownies. While we’ve continued to experiment with pumpkin this Fall, we’re going through a serious butternut squash phase right now.
We started by learning how to roast butternut squash. We are loving the flavor that comes when you mix the butternut squash with olive oil, salt, pepper, and a little balsamic vinegar and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes, turning every 10 minutes. After enjoying the squash as a side dish and incorporating it into a pasta primavera successfully, we went a little crazy by making this butternut squash pizza. The result? Delicious! I know the flavors seem a little strange for pizza but they work surprisingly well together. It is a sauce-less pizza, so it borders on being more of a fancy flatbread. Whatever you want to call it…count me in!
- prepared pizza dough
- butternut squash
- garlic, minced
- mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ricotta cheese
- parmesan cheese
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- salt & pepper
- Brush olive oil on pre-made pizza dough and sprinkle with basil and oregano
- Top with shredded mozzarella cheese
- Add minced garlic
- Place roasted balsamic butternut squash evenly over pizza
- Dollop ricotta cheese over pizza
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese
- Bake until crust is slightly browned and cheese is bubbly.