Who doesn’t love a hot and bubbly casserole full of comfort food? We love this dish because it is quick to throw together, delicious, and makes great leftovers for work/school for a day or two after. This meal always manages to work its way into our menu every couple weeks. Pick up the ingredients on your next shopping trip and save this recipe for a rainy day or the next time that you just can’t stand the thought of standing in the kitchen for an hour making dinner. Enjoy!
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (10.75 oz) condensed reduced-fat, reduced sodium cream of chicken soup
- 1 can (11 oz) whole-kernel corn with red and green peppers (often called “mexicorn”), undrained
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning mix
- 1.5 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup tortilla chips
- Optional: extra veggies, thinly sliced — We usually like to throw in yellow summer squash or zucchini.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- In casserole dish, stir chicken, rice, tomatoes, soup, corn, taco seasoning, veggies (if including) and 1 cup of the cheese until well mixed.
- Cover and bake about 1 hour or until rice is tender and mixture is heated through.
- Top with tortilla chips and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Bake about 10 minutes longer or until filling is bubbly and cheese is melted.