We decided to have a little fun with the leftover wonton wrappers and cream cheese from the Improv Cooking Challenge. Now that I’ve found these Nasoya wonton wrappers I can save myself the $5-10 that a restaurant charges and make my own version of Crab Rangoon at home.
For fillings the possibilities are endless. This time we chose a simple cream cheese and basil wonton with a few added ingredients for flavor. Honestly, we didn’t even measure out all the ingredients…just made it up as we went. Have fun creating your own!
- Nasoya Wonton Wrappers
- Cream Cheese
- Fresh Chopped Basil
- Grated Parmesan
- Garlic Powder
- 1 Egg (for egg wash)
- Oil for Frying
- Mix together cream cheese, basil, parmesan, and garlic powder. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, wisk together the egg and a little water to make an egg wash.
- Place one wonton wrapper on a clean, flat surface. With a small brush, paint all four edges of the wonton wrapper with the egg wash.
- Place a small dollop of cream cheese filling onto the center of the wonton.
- Fold wrapper into triangle (or desired shape) using the egg wash to seal the wonton wrapper together.
- Make sure to pinch the edges of the wonton to ensure a tight seal so that the filling stays inside during the frying process.
- Heat Oil. Tip: To see if your oil is hot enough, stick a wood toothpick into the oil. If you see bubbles and the oil is starting to fry the toothpick, it’s ready.
- Lightly drop wontons into oil one at a time, frying for 25-30 seconds each.
- Remove from oil with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel until ready to plate and serve.